Learn more about working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Mental Health Associate/Inpatient Psychiatry 36 Hours
Boston, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Category: Behavioral Health Job ID: JR31535 Date posted: 09/15/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Rotating (United States of America)Job Summary: The Mental Health Associate performs mental health patient care activities delegated by the clinical nurse. This person reports to the nurse manager for administrative and professional development purposes.
Rotating shifts. Rotating Weekend availability is required.
Job Description:Essential Responsibilities:
- Observes and reports patients' physical, emotional and social behaviors. Initiates necessary changes in staff response.
- Assists patients with personal care, monitoring vital signs and weights, preparing lab specimens, supervising meals, routine and special patient observations (checks), maintaining a clean environment, transporting patient to activities and appointments.
- Teaches nonviolent crisis intervention techniques as directed by the nurse manager.
- Functions as the Legal Liaison for the unit.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred in Psychology, Counseling, or related field
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- At least two years work experience in psychiatric setting.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities