Learn more about working at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
Associate Wound and Skin Innovator
Burlington, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Category: Wound Care & Hyperbaric Job ID: JR32548 Date posted: 11/07/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Associate Wound & Skin Innovator/In-patient Wound Nurse
40 hour day shift position- 4 x10's or 3 x12's
90% of the job is clinical
Reports to the Associate Chief of Critical Care Nursing Services, and in collaboration with the Certified Wound/Ostomy/Continence Nurse (CWOCN), the Associate Wound and Skin Innovator (AWSI) practices within the Lahey Clinic Professional Practice Model, MA Nurse Practice Act, ANA Standards
of Practice and Code of Ethics and demonstrates Lahey Clinic’s core values that reflect its Mission. The AWSI promotes excellence in nursing practice by providing expert wound and skin nursing care to patients based on current best practice and evidence/research. The AWSI functions as a clinical/educational resource to nursing staff. The nurse-patient/family relationship, continuity of care and accountability are central to the delivery of individualized high quality patient care. The AWSI facilitates the wound and skin assessment and care across the continuum and demonstrates safe practice within the domains of:
• Professional relationships
• Clinical leadership
• Clinical scholarship
• Clinical education
• Research and evidenced based nursing practice
Primarily this role will be seeing inpatients, based off being consulted, to assess, provide direct treatment, and specialized recommendations for the wound care of all hospitalized patients. Additional duties include attending meetings, responding to Quality and Risk Partners and education.
The AWSI maintains a current level of knowledge and skill with technical procedures as defined by nursing specialty organizations. The AWSI complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies and maintains current licensure as a registered nurse in the state of Massachusetts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
I. Clinical Judgment and Decision Making:
A. In collaboration with the nurse caring for the patient and CWOCN perform systematic patient wound/skin assessment.
B. Evaluate effectiveness of care and adapt plan based on patient response.
C. Determine appropriate support surfaces for patients at risk of developing pressure sores.
D. Collaborate with staff nurses to determine risk assessment for skin breakdown
E. In collaboration with staff nurses, examine all new admissions to critical care looking for skin issues
F. Stage pressure ulcers and document in progress notes.
G. Evaluate appropriateness of nursing care plans r/t skin issues and communicate recommendations to
the nurse caring for the patient.
H. Communicate changes in skin condition to leadership team and CWOCN therapists.
I. File safety reports for reportable breakdown
J. Collaborate with COWN for all patients transferring from critical care areas to med/surg areas to evaluate plan of care
K. Review all documentation prior to patients leaving facility from critical care
I. Professional Relationships:
A. Facilitates the establishment of a professional relationship with nurses, physicians and other colleagues and serves as a role model for others
• Practices self awareness regarding appropriate interpersonal and communication skills to ensure demonstration of professional behavior.
• Demonstrates good communication skills with all colleagues.
• Respects opinions of all colleagues.
• Communicates with physicians and other colleagues to provide continuity of care and provider across the care continuum.
B. Facilitates the establishment of a professional relationship with patient and family and serves as a role model for others
• Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family.
• Communicates with the patient and family appropriately for the age of the patient and family members.
• Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers.
C. Facilitates the nurse/nurse relationship and serves as a role model to others
• Actively involved in strategies that promote the image of nursing.
• Provides guidance and encourages the professional growth of others.
• Serves as a resource on a daily basis to all staff.
II. Clinical Leadership:
Integrates the components of professional nursing practice by serving as teacher and role model.
These role components include: facilitator, consultant, leader, and change agent.
A. Demonstrates skills as a facilitator and consultant.
• Uses learner contributions to promote discussion;
• Models an accepting, open approach to questions and concerns;
• Identifies and evaluates the available internal and external resources for best practice;
• Disseminates information on available resources to individuals within organization.
B. Demonstrate abilities for being a change agent/leader
• Works with organizational leaders and others to identify areas of needed change;
• Promotes problem solving by clarifying issues related to change process;
• Creates a work environment which supports staff’s growth and professional development;
• Works with others (administration, other disciplines, etc.) to facilitate/lead and evaluate change;
• Evaluates the impact of change
• Creates work environment that is supportive of the HRO and culture of safety goals as set forth by the organization.
C. Demonstrates professional behavior.
• Demonstrates a commitment to practice setting by extending self when unusual needs arise.
• Displays a positive attitude in the workplace that is supportive and open to change.
D. Demonstrates skills as a responsive team member.
• Functions without supervision in a manner appropriate for experience.
• Recognizes and respects the role of other health care providers.
• Shares information with other members of the team.
• Offers support to peers
III. Clinical Scholarship:
A. Upholds standards of quality and safe nursing care and demonstrates ability to fulfill role
in regulatory compliance readiness
• Participates in continuing education appropriate to practice.
• Participates in nursing research projects to promote quality nursing care.
• Participates in Shared Governance Councils and/or nursing/organization committees.
• Assesses resources needed to facilitate research and EBP to support quality nursing care.
B. Demonstrates a commitment to life long learning.
• Reviews practice decisions with experienced personnel to evaluate effectiveness.
• Identifies learning needs and seeks appropriate assistance from experienced personnel.
• Sets realistic goals for own development
• Participates in professional nursing organizations
• Pursues certification in field of practice.
• Participates in community based activities within the Lahey community and beyond.
IV. Clinical Education:
A. Develops formal and informal educational programs to assist nursing staff with meeting performance expectations for wound and skin care.
• Collaborates with the Nurse Managers, Assistant Nurse Managers, Clinical Educators and staff nurses in determining educational program needs for wound and skin for the units.
• Participates in the development and presentation of hospital wide wound and skin educational programs.
• Demonstrates the ability to assess, plan, and implement teaching programs, including appropriate development of learning objectives, teaching methods and methods for evaluation of learning success.
• Develops and coordinates education re: wound/skin care for new staff members.
• Achieves and maintains certification in Wound and Skin according to departmental standards.
• Pursues and achieves a Masters degree according to departmental standards.
• Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality policy.
• Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement, and Goals into daily activities.
• Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
• Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
• Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
• Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
• Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
• Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
• Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of a state approved and/or accredited School of Nursing. BSN or MSN preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Current license to practice professional nursing from the Massachusetts
Board of Registration and Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Clinical Skills/Technical Knowledge
a. Demonstrates the necessary clinical skills and technical knowledge to provide care for patients
according to Nursing Policy and Procedures. See Skill Record.
b. Demonstrates the necessary clinical skills and knowledge to provide care for patients
according to the unit-specific competencies. See Skill Record.
c. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
Experience: A few years of in-patient and out-patient experience preferred, wound care experience preferred
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities