Learn more about working at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
Burlington, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Category: Laboratory Job ID: JR22473 Date posted: 05/26/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Evening (United States of America)
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Histology Supervisor using established policies and procedures, performs a variety of tasks associated with the preparation of surgical, biopsy, and autopsy specimens for study. Maintains QC and other records in accordance with organizational and regulatory guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
Embeds surgical, biopsy and autopsy specimens insuring proper orientation. Tissue types are identified using computer generated logs.
Microtomy. Produces high quality sections – quantity meets Department standards.
H&E staining and routine special stains. Completes high quality stains, with appropriate controls, within the approved time frame.
Uses the computer system to move the workload through the lab.
- Ensures block-numbering accuracy. Follows up discrepancies appropriately.
- Compiles and prints logs at appropriate times.
- Verifies stains and procedures when completed.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of unresolved problems. Documents all corrective actions in the QC log.
Performs non-routine procedures (Immunohistochemistry, muscle stains). Produces high quality stains with appropriate controls in approved time frames.
Makes necessary stains and reagents. Insures proper levels are available.
Performs and documents all basic maintenance at scheduled intervals.
Maintains an orderly, hygienic work area by cleaning workspaces on a daily basis.
Handles chemical, infectious material/waste and other material/waste according to Department and Clinic policies and procedures. Participates in waste reduction efforts through involvement in the Department’s recycling activities.
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic confidentiality policy.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competence assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent plus additional training required for attainment of registration.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Maintains HT ASCP registration.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Knowledge of clinical tests and standards necessary to perform complex tests and accurately produce results that meet criteria required by CAP, JCAHO and other regulatory agencies. Analytic ability to perform complex tests, to interpret findings, perform calculations, calibrate instruments, etc. Including processing schedules, routine and special stain preparation and Q.A., equipment maintenance. Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems and to effect corrective action procedures and modifications.
Experience: Minimum two years full time experience in a hospital histology lab.
External applicants are eligible for a $7,000 sign on bonus that will be paid out in two installments. One payment is paid after six months of employment and the other is payment will be paid at one year of employment.