Learn more about working at Mount Auburn Hospital
Birth Registrar - Stanton 5/South 5
Cambridge, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Mount Auburn Hospital Category: Labor & Delivery Job ID: JR3307 Date posted: 10/27/2022
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Birth Registrar - Stanton 5/South 5
1. Acts as a resource to patients, families and visitors upon entering unit. Exhibits professional behavior while providing superior customer service to all who require information or assistance.
2. Assists in coordinating patient communication by answering call lights (as defined by unit) and relaying timely and accurate information to nursing staff.
3. Exhibits strong communication skills with professional telephone manners. Takes accurate messages and delivers message in a timely fashion.
4. Maintains the flow of medical record information, ensuring all pertinent information is filed correctly and in a timely manner. Responsible for the following tasks: a. On transfer of a patient from one unit to another, the unit coordinator will print clinical flow sheets from the sending unit and place them in the chart for the receiving unit to see. b. Notify RN of any written orders that are received. c. Maintain accurate charts and file all paperwork appropriately during each shift. Complete all paperwork in a timely fashion. d. Ensure that there is an ample amount of progress notes in the chart for clinicians to write progress notes on.
5. Maintains established stock levels of clerical supplies.
6. Participates with the orientation of new staff.
7. Responds to staffing needs of the healthcare team by cross-training and floating to other units as needed.
8. Print proxy list daily and update proxy information to current chart if applicable.
9. Performs unit specific tasks as identified on unit checklist.
10. Follow discharge procedures according to checklist. Print required documents and sign off on completed paperwork.
11. Follow appropriate downtime procedures. Locate and supply all downtime forms to staff as required.
12. Attends the annual Safety Education Fair.
13. Conducts interviews and follows up with new mothers to ensure that all required information is obtained to create a legal birth certificate.
14. Enters abstracted information into the State Electronic Birth Certificate System.
15. Responds to inquiries from the Registry of Vital Statistics, Cambridge City Hall and other agencies.
16. References applicable Massachusetts laws and vital registry guidelines to determine what information is needed from the patient to assist them in accurately completing paternity papers, denial statements, and social security forms.
17. Performs quality checks and edits of critical birth registry fields to ensure integrity of collected data.
18. Coordinates data between the perinatal areas, new mothers, physicians, and various city halls and state agencies.
19. MA Notary Public.
20. Notary for many areas of the hospital.
21. Acts as a liaison between members of the CareTeam, physicians and other health care providers throughout the hospital and in outside organizations.
22. Fosters effective team performance by informing team members of relevant patient information and changes in prescribed treatments.
23. Communicates with patients, families, physicians, staff and others clearly fostering appropriate interactions for the care of the patient.
24. Acts as a liaison between members of the CareTeam, physicians and other health care providers throughout the hospital and in outside organizations.
25. Fosters effective team performance by informing team members of relevant patient information.
26. Communicates with patients, families, physicians, staff and others clearly fostering appropriate interactions for the care of the patient.
27. Receives, generates and files orders, reports and other patient documents via fax, computer and mail. Manages printed documents and records in a secure and confidential manner.
28. Receives, logs and processes requests for admissions and all transfers.
29. Interviews patient by telephone and/or in person to verify demographic information and to welcome them to the unit.
30. Prepares admission forms, explains admission consent forms and obtains all necessary signatures. Prepares patient wristbands, facesheets and embossed cards as needed.
31. Assures that the patient chart is complete for billing within 24 hours of patient discharge. This involves constant feedback to the physician and the CareTeam regarding the status of the chart.
32. Reviews and analyzes the patient chart for completeness according to Medical Staff Bylaws, JCAHO guidelines and Medical Records guidelines.
33. Communicates with physicians regarding need for completion of aspects of the patient chart.
34. Files reports and other medical records information in a timely and accurate manner, at least on a daily basis.
35. Coordinates the patient discharge from the unit.
36. Arranges for transportation and acquisition of needed supplies prior to discharge.
37. Coordinates the communication of relevant discharge documents and updates the Home Care file in the computer as needed.
38. Enters discharge related orders and time of discharge in the computer in a timely manner.
39. Ensures that office supplies are kept stocked on the unit and coordinates the purchasing of patient supplies and equipment as needed.
40. Manages requests for repairs, replacements or service with Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and other departments. Arranges for the borrowing and lending of materials between Mount Auburn Hospital and other facilities.
1. High school graduate or equivalent
2. Previous clerical experience (preferably in a healthcare setting). Medical terminology preferred.
3. An ability to set appropriate priorities and organize work flow.
4. An ability to concentrate and pay attention to detail during frequent interruptions.
5. Strong interpersonal skills necessary to interface with support and professional staff and patients.