Changing health care
to improve quality of
life for all.
Beth Israel Lahey Health’s roots in providing top-quality health care date back nearly a century. We're fully committed to ensuring our patients receive the care they deserve. As a leading healthcare provider throughout New England, we aim to change the current state of health care for the better and make lasting improvements that guarantee access to our services.
Practice Assistant II
Chestnut Hill, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Lahey Health Primary Care Category: Clinic Management Job ID: JR27673 Date posted: 09/18/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Job Summary:
Reports to (one of the following): Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice Coordinator with input from assigned physician, nurses or other health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth functioning of practice operations.
Job Description:Essential Responsibilities:
- Greets patients and visitors in a manner that demonstrates courtesy, service, respect and privacy. Serves as a central communication source in the delivery of patient care by being responsive, accessible and visible. Provides accurate information, directions and/or guidance and follows up promptly to ensure that needs have been met.
- Performs check in, registration, scheduling, verification of demographic information and fiscal data utilizing a computer system. Collects co-payments following standards for co-payment processing. Schedules, reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters referrals.
- Monitors and supports patients and visitors entering and leaving the practice. Facilitates timely flow and proactively solves flow issues (i.e., early or late patient, late provider, etc.). Acts as liaison between patient and practice staff to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Acts as liaison between patient and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Other responsibilities will vary by practice and may include, but are not limited to: Check out, Schedules necessary follow up appointments. Provides patient with any relevant educational materials as indicated, visit ticket entry, medical records preparation.
- Level II responsibilities include: Facilitate billing functions. Research and follow through on a wide variety of information requests. May act as a group leader in absence of Manager. Act as a department resource to others for information and training. Facilitate problem solving, providing appropriate direction. May participate in small projects under the direction of Manager or designee.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Admin Assistant Cert preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years experience in a healthcare or service/hospitality environment.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus