Changing health care
to improve quality of
life for all.
Beth Israel Lahey Health’s roots in providing top-quality health care date back nearly a century. We're fully committed to ensuring our patients receive the care they deserve. As a leading healthcare provider throughout New England, we aim to change the current state of health care for the better and make lasting improvements that guarantee access to our services.
Medical Assistant/Medical Secretary
Lexington, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Lahey Health Primary Care Category: Technician Job ID: JR15327 Date posted: 03/19/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)A variety of medical secretarial functions are performed accurately, appropriately, and in a timely manner according to departmental standards, policies, and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
1. Types a variety of memos, manuscripts, correspondence, reports, minutes, schedules, and forms.
2. Maintains billing for surgical workload and outside vendors.
3. Answers telephone, screens calls, refers to the appropriate individual or takes messages.
4. Performs data entry from the transcription of surgical pathology and autopsy reports.
5. Maintains the inventory of office supplies.
6. Maintains records for the department according to all regulatory agencies and departmental policies and procedures.
7. Maintains records of journals and books contained in the Pathology Library.
8. Sends out surgical specimens for special testing, and records information.
9. Opens and distributes departmental mail daily.
10. Determines appropriate SNOMED and ICD9 codes for Pathology specimens.
11. Reports to Lead Pathology Secretary and Lab Administrator.
1. Thorough knowledge of medical terminology required, excellent typing/computer skills, normally acquired through the completion of an Associate's degree in a medical secretary program or equivalent.
2. At least one year of medical secretarial experience and office experience are preferred.
3. Need excellent communication skills, including good auditory abilities.
Physical Requirements & Environment:
1. Generally works in an office environment with some limited exposure to odors, toxins, and other hazardous substances in the laboratory.
2. Works under constant time deadlines.
3. Performs data entry with repetitive hand movement and visual concentration at video display terminal to review and enter data.
4. Complies with precautions, as defined by Infection Control staff, in patients/materials requiring isolation.