Learn more about working at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Needham
Patient Access Representative (Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:30pm)
Needham, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Needham Category: Patient Access Job ID: JR35201 Date posted: 11/16/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Job Summary: Patient Access Representative arranges for the efficient and orderly admission of inpatients and registration of individuals who have hospital based outpatient testing or procedures. Interviews incoming patient or representatives in person or by telephone and accurately enters information required for admission/registration into computer database. Distributes information to ancillary departments and physicians. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Acts in a professional manner and puts patient needs first.
Job Description:Essential Responsibilities:
- Responsible for accepting reservations for hospital service; Greet and assist patients upon arrival. Back up colleagues as needed to avoid long wait times for patients. Escort patients to departments as needed.
- Responsible for interviewing patients or their representative, obtaining personal information or verifying information already on file, including emergency numbers, next of kin, insurance information and other necessary information.. Is aware of when a patient may feel uncomfortable in the present setting and offer to provide a more private space to perform the registration function.
- Accepts copayments where identified. Locking them in the safe after collection.
- Accurately records all transactions.
- Responsible for obtaining signatures for General Authorization and Notice of Privacy if this is patients first time here. Provide Notice of Privacy Practices to all new patients and documents the advance directive and HIPAA privacy notice distribution in the computer system. Provides advance directive information to patients when one has not been completed.
- Receive actual order from Hospitalist via printer. Pay close attention to level of care. At this time either change to Inpatient or leave as Observation depending on physician decision. Make sure to update Attending Physician to physician writing order. Update diagnosis if needed.
- Receive bed request from ER physician via printer. Admit patient appropriately as Observation, Attending physician as Inpatient Provider update diagnosis.
- Interviews Inpatients and verifies information obtained at the time of admission. Distributes hospital specific literature and obtains appropriate signatures such as Important Message from Medicare.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience preferred
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities