Learn more about working at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Needham
Security Officer (32hr, Day)
Needham, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Needham Category: Security Job ID: JR37323 Date posted: 11/30/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Job Summary: Under general supervision of the Lead Security Officer or the Director of Security and Safety, the Security Officer performs a variety of duties involving safety, security, emergency management, and related activities. Patrols buildings and grounds, monitors parking and traffic, responds to and investigates security incidents, and assists and interacts with patients, visitors and staff as appropriate. Greets and assists visitors, patients and others. Follows through with questions, requests, and concerns in a timely fashion. Helps the patients, employees and visitors obtain information they need.
Job Description:Essential Responsibilities:
- Conducts preventative security and safety patrols throughout buildings and grounds.
- Participates in follow-up investigations.
- Provides security for the hospital's patients, visitors, staff and employees and safeguards the property by immediately responding to requests and emergency codes.
- Maintains alertness for unusual or abnormal conditions or suspicious activities.
- Observes unauthorized persons and takes appropriate action, notifies supervisor or police.
- Locks and unlocks doors following established procedures.
- Enforces parking for patients, staff and visitors according to parking policies.
- Investigates reports of leaks, broken windows or facility damage, etc. and informs Facilities Dept.
- Reports potential fire or safety hazards.
- Performs and participates in security, safety, and facilities inspections, fire watches, and alarm checks.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- MA Driver's License and good driving record
- High School Degree/GED requirement may be waived with equivalent related work experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 1-3 years Hospital or campus security, or law enforcement experience.
- MOAB training preferred.
- CPR Certification and First Aid Training preferred, or must complete within 30 days of hire.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities