Learn more about working at Lahey Medical Center Peabody
30 Hour Phlebotomist (6:30am to 1230pm)
Peabody, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Lahey Medical Center Peabody Category: Laboratory Job ID: JR34657 Date posted: 11/01/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager and/or Team Leader performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on adult and pediatric patients and is familiar with patient and specimen requirements. Performs processing of specimens and routes specimens to the appropriate laboratory for analysis. Performs a variety of clerical duties associated with the operation of the laboratory computer system. This position requires the use Epic computer system modules. Phlebotomists rotate weekends and holidays, and work at off-site locations as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but are not limited to:
- Prepares workspace and/or collection cart in advance of collection with all essential supplies to efficiently procure specimens.
- Greets patients and explains procedure in a professional and courteous manner. Reassures each patient to make them comfortable with the procedure.
- Verifies patient identification according to Lahey Clinic policy for inpatients and outpatients.
- Utilizes the Epic computer system to access appropriate encounter. Enters required information into the computer by verifying and documenting patient demographics, orders, hours p.c., and last dose (if necessary). Ensures proper forms accompany specimens according to policy. Cancels tests or defers draw time for tests that cannot be collected, documents information in computer, and notifies appropriate personnel. Collects required insurance information from patient when necessary. Uses other computer applications as necessary.
- Performs proficient venipuncture according to the National Certifying Agency for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS) including proper site preparation, proper venipuncture technique, and use of proper collection devices/tubes.
- Properly label specimens in accordance with LHMC policy to provide accurately identified specimens.
- Delivers specimens within established time frame and follows special handling instructions for relevant specimens in order to maintain integrity of specimen and facilitate specimen processing.
- Processes specimens for analysis according to written protocols.
- Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
General Expectations including but are not limited to:
- Contributes to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
- Maintains appropriate inventory levels.
- Incorporate LHMC Standards of Behavior and Mission Statement into daily activities.
- Comply with all LHMC and department specific policies and established safety procedures.
- Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and LHMC.
- Establish and maintain courteous and effective interactions with patients, physicians, management, visitors and other members of the health care team through responsiveness, accuracy of information, and professionalism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adhere to our Customer Service Standards.
- Demonstrate a commitment to stay current in scientific knowledge by completing two hours of continuing education per year.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Licensure, Certification, Registration: Completion of a phlebotomy certification program with externship is preferred but not required. Additional certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry is preferred but not required.
- Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to perform venipuncture accurately.
- Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with patients, physicians and other colleagues.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and to handle stress of high patient volume.
- Basic computer skills.
- Experience: Prior customer service experience.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities