Learn more about working at Lahey Medical Center Peabody
Sr. Medical Office Nurse (RN)
Peabody, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Lahey Medical Center Peabody Category: Nursing Job ID: JR32597 Date posted: 11/28/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Under the supervision of the Site Manager, performs patient triage and has patient care responsibilities in support of multiple health care providers. Performs clinical, technical and clerical duties to ensure quality patient care is provided. The Sr. Medical Office RN works as a lead within the nursing team and works in collaboration with the physician(s), other healthcare provider(s) and other clinical support staff within the department and with other disciplines to plan and coordinate the delivery of patient care. The Sr. Medical Office RN demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide expected standards of care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, spiritual, safety and age-appropriate considerations of patients. Responsibilities include health maintenance, teaching, counseling, collaborative planning and restoration of optimal functioning and comfort or for the dignified death of those they serve. The Sr. Medical Office Nurse serves as a liason to all nurses within a practice, and assure the clinical support communication is effective for the care team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Coordination of the nursing support within a practice. Trains new nurses on all nursing standards and protocols and serves as a mentor for nursing team.
2. Telephone triage and assessment. Renders patient care within the scope of their training, including administering
immunizations and allergy injections, performs blood draws, and obtains height, weight and blood pressure on all
patients and documents appropriately in patient’s chart.
3. Assists physicians with minor procedures.
4. Prepares exam rooms and restocks supplies.
5. Enters required information for prescription refills properly through electronic medical record.
6. The Medical Office RN is expected to and is accountable for providing safe patient care by demonstrating
organizational skills that maintain and coordinate safe delivery of quality care for assigned patients/families.
7. Performing systematic patient and family assessment relevant to practice settings and record the related health
8. Analyze and interpret recorded data. Make informed judgments as to the specific problems and elements of
nursing care mandated by a particular situation.
9. Delivering care that is specific to the age of the patient
10. Utilizing listening skills and clinical judgment in decision making to telephonically assess the severity of patient
caller signs and symptoms.
11. Evaluating effectiveness of care and adapts plan based on patient/family response
12. Providing patient care by 1. providing necessary physical care to appropriate patient populations which include
ADL’s, positioning, transporting, and treatments 2. Utilizing and transporting equipment 3. Monitoring and
recognizing acute changes in the patient and intervenes appropriately and 4. Administering medications including
blood and blood products
13. Establishes professional relationship with nurses, physicians and other colleagues and patients and families.
14. Educates the patient and family about the patient’s illness and treatment including preventative measures
appropriate to the patient.
15. Supports Lahey Clinics commitment to community based activities both within the Lahey community and beyond.
16. Collaborates, cooperates and communicates with other healthcare providers to ensure quality and continuity of
17. Demonstrates skills as a responsive team member and leader.
18. Demonstrates role of nurse as teacher/trainer.
19. Demonstrates ability to fulfill role in regulatory compliance and readiness.
20. Serve as patient advocate, within the limits of the law.
21. Upholds standards of quality nursing care
22. Demonstrates a commitment to lifelong learning.
23. Demonstrates evidenced based practice (EBP) in nursing.
1. Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Health Confidentiality policy. 2. Incorporate Lahey Health Standards of Behavior and CREATE Values. 3. Comply with all Lahey Health Policies. 4. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Health. 5. Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients. 6. Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment. 7. Demonstrate competency in working with the Electronic Medical record system 8. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards. 9. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities. 10. Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education. 11. Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Four year Nursing degree required (Bachelors) .
Licensure, Certification & Registration: Current RN license to practice in state of Massachusetts. Must maintain BLS certification.
Experience: Prior Nursing experience required at a minimum of 5 years. Medical Office experience is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Excellent communications skills to effectively educate and assist patients as well as interacting with providers and staff. Ability to make sound decisions under pressure. Ability to handle confidentiality information. Must have the organizational skills and the ability to follow through on tasks.
1 Physician/Allied Health Professional To provide accurate patient triage and assist with patient visits, tests, and procedures.
2 Patients Interacts with patients/families to facilitate all patient care needs
3 Practice Manager To follow on-going instruction to meet the needs of the patients and the site.
4 Medical/Clinical Assistant To assist and be a liaison with nursing with patient flow, provide support, and guidance as needed.
5 Other nursing staff Train other nurses, provide resources and mentorship to assure nursing protocols are maintained. Support in providing quality patient care.
6 Other Support Personnel Work as part of an inter/intra departmental team to ensure patient satisfaction
Work Schedule: Indicate either Yes or No as appropriate. Hours of work may be subject to change based upon the needs of the business/department.
On Call: Shift Rotation: Weekends:
Physical Requirements & Environment: Required
For each category, select ONE option from choices below by placing an X in the space to the left of the entry.
Mental and Visual Attention Required
a) x The position requires basic mental and visual attention much or all of the time
b) The position requires periods of concentrated mental and visual attention.
c) The position requires a high degree of mental and visual concentration.
d) x Nature of work requires lifting or moving light weight (up to 20 pounds).
e) Nature of work requires lifting or moving medium weight (over 20 and up to 75 pounds).
f) Nature of work requires lifting or moving heavy weight (over 75 pounds).
g) x Flow of work and character of duties require average manual coordination.
h) Flow of work and character of duties require above average manual coordination.
i) Flow of work and character of duties require high manual coordination.
Range of Motion
j) x Duties require average range of motion.
k) Duties require above average range of motion.
l) Duties require high range of motion.
m) x Performance of duties allows for variation in positioning and tasks.
n) Performance of duties requires remaining in position for prolonged periods of time.
o) x Assignments require occasional repetitive motion.
p) Assignments require frequent repetitive motion.
q) Assignments require constant repetitive motion.
r) x Working conditions include minimal exposure to elements such as odor, noise, dust, chemicals, temperature extremes or airborne pathogens.
s) Working conditions include occasional exposure to elements such as odor, noise, dust, chemicals, temperature extremes or airborne pathogens.
t) Working conditions include continuous exposure to elements such as odor, noise, dust, chemicals, temperature extremes or airborne pathogens.
Exposure to Hazardous Materials
u) Performance of duties generally does not involve exposure to hazardous materials.
v) x Performance of duties occasionally involves exposure to hazardous materials.
w) Performance of duties frequently involves exposure to hazardous materials.
Patient Care Conditions (select ALL that are applicable)
x) x Position entails exposure to blood and body fluids, standard precautions must be used.
y) Assignments include transporting, transfer and positioning of patients.
z) Incumbent must be continuously prepared to prevent a patient fall.
Sensory Requirements (select ALL that are applicable)
aa) x Performance of duties requires the ability to discern and identify colors
bb) x Performance of duties requires the ability to discern sharp from dull and hot from cold
cc) x Performance of duties requires the ability to hear soft and loud noises
Patient Care/Patient Contact Designation (check only one of the items listed below)
x_ Position has a direct impact upon health outcomes of the patient.
_ Position facilitates the process that may impact patient access to services.
_ No patient care/contact, and does not facilitate the patient care process or directly impact health outcomes.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Why join Beth Israel Lahey Health?
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a difference and explore your potential, Beth Israel Lahey Health is the place you belong. Our system includes a network of hospitals, physician practices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities and we offer a broad range of careers in direct patient care, environmental services, registration, finance and many other fields. We are focused on providing compassionate and personalized healthcare with a strong reputation for clinical excellence and research and offer diverse opportunities for career growth and development. Conveniently, we have many locations in communities across Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
At Beth Israel Lahey Health, we see you for all that you are – your experience and your dreams. Explore our open opportunities and find out why so many have already chosen to join our team.View All Opportunities