Learn more about working at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Plymouth
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST (BS ASCP OR HEW CERT.)
Plymouth, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Plymouth Category: Laboratory Job ID: JR35723 Date posted: 11/15/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Job Type:Per Diem
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Varied hours/shifts based on dept. needs
- Perform laboratory tests and quality control procedures in assigned areas. Departmentalized technicians will have increased technical responsibility in areas of specialization. Goal for evening grade 16 Technologists: technical expertise on all major instruments. Also responsible for reporting abnormal results to physicians and floors.
- Responsible for organizing and assigning work to technicians within department according to designated priorities and maintaining general efficiency in assigned areas.
- Responsible for assessing and reporting acceptable results including results submitted by technicians in assigned departments and evaluation of daily QC results. Troubleshoot out of control procedures.
- Responsible for performance and documentation of routine and periodic maintenance of laboratory instrumentation and equipment. Troubleshoot malfunctions and keep appropriate records.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory sheets in assigned areas. Report needs to coordinators.
- Responsible for reviewing Standard Operating Procedure Manuals periodically. Write procedures for new tests and edit changes in old procedures as they are implemented.
- Test and develop new procedures and products including appropriate statistical evaluation as requested. Present reports of findings for evaluation by supervisor.
- Train and evaluate students and new employees.
- Operate computer including all patient data and maintenance and quality control routines.
- Perform phlebotomies as requested.
- Responsible for data entering own results into computer.
- Maintain laboratory work areas in a clean and safe manner.
- Attend laboratory meetings.
- Attend and participate in in-service education meetings and educational seminars as requested.
- Other related duties.
It is understood that this is a summary of key job functions and does not include every detail of the job that may reasonably be required.
- B.S. in a science related field.
- Able to utilize analyzers and computers.
- Six months of experience in a laboratory environment.
- ASCP, HEW, NCA (written).
This job requires frequent bending, carrying, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing, stooping, walking, and lifting over 10 lbs. There will be occasional need for climbing stairs, lifting in excess of 50–100 lbs., sitting, constant use of hearing, sight, speech, frequent use of smell and touch, frequent keyboard and telephone use, constant concentration and problem solving.