Changing health care
to improve quality of
life for all.
Beth Israel Lahey Health’s roots in providing top-quality health care date back nearly a century. We're fully committed to ensuring our patients receive the care they deserve. As a leading healthcare provider throughout New England, we aim to change the current state of health care for the better and make lasting improvements that guarantee access to our services.
Volunteer & Bereavement Services Manager
Woburn, MassachusettsOrganization Facility: Beth Israel Lahey Health at Home Category: Hospice & Palliative Care Job ID: JR22542 Date posted: 05/24/2023
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Work Shift:Day (United States of America)Reporting to the Executive Director of Hospice and Palliative Care The Manager of Hospice Volunteer and Bereavement Services plans, organizes, and directs all hospice volunteer activities; oversees bereavement program: establishes programs, objectives, and standards for the department consistent with Beth Israel Lahey Health at Home (BILHAH) goals; with direction from the Executive Director, develops the department's organizational structure. Develops policies in collaboration with the Director of Quality and Compliance and with the Executive Director of Hospice and Palliative Care. Implements policies and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to
1. Works with BILHAH, volunteer organizations, and directors in defining specific program needs; develops and coordinates programs of service.
2. Assists with the overall responsibility for the Volunteer Program; interviews, selects, schedules, and supervises volunteers.
3. Develops departmental record keeping systems and maintains records and files through use of a personal computer. These records include mailing lists and tracking volunteer hours as required by Hospice Conditions of Participation.
4. Interviews candidates for Volunteer Services. Develops criteria for the selection and assignment of volunteers with varied backgrounds; designs programs for volunteers with different skills, ages, and requirements. Develops and provides orientation and training for volunteers and departmental staff. Selects, trains, evaluates, and recommends personnel action for Volunteer Services staff.
5. Establishes and maintains department records; prepares and submits regular and special reports on departmental activities. Arranges for recognition of volunteers annually.
6. Develops and maintains a close working relationship with the hospice leadership team and provides assistance where appropriate. Serves on committees as requested. Develops and maintains working relationships with community agencies and the public. Maintains affiliations with professional organizations.
7. Informs appropriate personnel of patient complaints that come to Volunteer Services through patient questionnaires or through volunteers.
8. Develops a recruitment strategy for volunteers. Works to promote the program and target specific groups. Works with the marketing team to develop public relations materials (brochures) explaining the Volunteer Services and requirements for BILHAH.
9. Supports and participates in the BILHAH’s commitment to Continuous Improvement. Through the development and use of objective data, plans, implements, and evaluates processes that result in the delivery of integrated services.
10. Reviews all Volunteer notes, collaborates with team and transcribes into EMR
11. Collaborates with Bereavement Coordinator ensuring all Regulations are met, tracks bereavement activities and ensures community needs are met.
· Maintain strict adherence to the Continuing Care Confidentiality policy.
· Incorporate Continuing Care Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities.
· Comply with all Continuing Care Policies.
· Comply with behavioral expectations of the Continuing Care Division.
· Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients. · Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
· Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
· Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
· Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
· Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
· A college degree in human services is preferred.
· Ability to supervise, coordinate and evaluate volunteer services.
· Ability to manage a group of individuals providing volunteer time and who will be considered staff members
Licensure, Certification & Registration:
· Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or organization requirements and is in good working order. Must be able to travel throughout the service area.
Experience: · One year of hospice, healthcare, volunteer management and/or related experience.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: · Understands hospice philosophy. · Ability to effectively communicate utilizing a variety of means including public speaking and writing press releases and newsletters. · Strong computer skills and proficiency in Word and Excel programs.